Monday, August 8, 2011

Well...here it goes!

Tracey...thank you for the push!  I hesitated to start, because I am not a chef, just someone who loves to cook, and write...a lot!  I'm going to give it my best shot...here I go!

I tend to gravitate toward ethnic food...any type, you name it.  Mexican, Greek, Mexican, Italian, Mexican (I know, but it is one of my faves)...pretty much in that order!  I am big on flavor and lots of it.   I love a good soup.  Although, I know it is not a soup-and I know those are fighting words...I thought I would share a recipe that I prepared yesterday.  White Chicken Chili.  I even have photos to post! It is quasi Mexican, or Tex-Mex...I guess.  I will try not to offend too many people with my opinions of food and their origin...if you feel I have it wrong, please share a comment to enlighten me and my follower...I am sure I will have one, one of these days!  My husband will follow me...right Babe?  And then there are my children, OK...so now I am pushing it.  Maybe if I bribe them!

Karen's White Chicken Chili

1 large sweet onion, small dice
2 Ancient sweet red peppers or 1 large red pepper, small dice
1 cup celery with leaves, finely chopped
1 whole head garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2-3 cups diced raw chicken
1 teaspoon kosher salt - not table salt! (I do not even bring that into my house...)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground if you do that...I do.
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon crushed oregano
4 cups chicken broth (I use water and chicken base)
1 can great northern beans, drained
1 can cream style corn (you can use fresh or frozen corn if you prefer)
1 small can Salsa Verde (or 1 cup fresh made)
1 Haas avocado, sliced for garnish
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced for garnish
2 scallions with greens, sliced for garnish

Heat olive oil over medium high heat in Dutch oven or stock pot.  Add onions, peppers, celery and garlic.  Saute until translucent and just starting to brown (caramelize).  
Add chicken, salt and pepper.  Saute until chicken is almost down and starting to brown-you may have to kick up the heat a bit. 

Add oregano, cumin, and chili powder, stirring over heat for 1 minute.  Add chicken broth, beans, corn and Salsa Verde.

Simmer for a minimum of 30 minutes up to 1 hour...then get ready to serve.

Ladle into soup bowls and top with avocado slices, sliced cherry tomatoes & scallion.
Delicious...had leftovers for lunch today.
Hopefully you enjoy this as much as I did...please let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Well Karen you've done it! So proud of you! I will be a faithful follower, and when I saw this recipe you posted on fb, I wanted so bad to try it, and now I have the complete recipe, yay!!
    The very best to you, and...BON APPETIT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is GREAT! I love the pix as you go along. Good for you, stepping out like this!

    ReplyDelete